Thursday, July 1, 2010

Resistance and Excuses

So, I'm following my Boot Camp plan (sort of) to the best of my ability (that's my story and I'm sticking to it!).  I've skipped a couple of things along the way, I'll fess up.

I haven't written out the Statement of Intent yet; I haven't thought of one.  I'm also having an issue with my food diary.  I HATE those.  Have you ever kept one?  I think the mantra in Weight Watchers is "Write it before you bite it."  Now, how stupid do we all look at luncheon meetings and out on first dates pulling out our little journals and writing everything down before we eat it?  Did you get the butter, that counts too!
  
I know I should do it, part of me really wants to!  But there is this other part of me; Myron, lets blame Mryon; who carrying around a little book and writing down everything I eat is going  to accomplish anything.  Let's be honest here.  Are we really going to write Everything down?  Yeah, I saw your pencil lead break as you were biting into that Snickers bar; see how you are!

Anyway, I'm on Day Five of my Boot Camp.  Guess how today's email started:
"the 5-day mark was the point where the biggest self-imposed resistance issues would surface. We decide and choose whatever we want"
Okay, she is in England, how does she know this stuff?!  Does she have my computer bugged or something!  Man, it is just downright lowering to be slapped down from 'across the pond'.  It gets worse.  She goes on to discuss how to help ourselves overcome our own self imposed barriers and resistances:
"We talk to ourselves internally all the time, and generally the chatter we have is with our sub-conscious. We have spent a lot of our lives programming our sub-conscious mind, and the feedback it gives us is a result of those years, positive or negative."
One of the fundamental things you have to observe and act on is what messages your sub-conscious is feeding you, unbidden and un-noticed most of the time! It’s important because the internal dialogue has the power to override the messages you are getting from outside yourself. It’s inside your head after all, and possession is nine tenths of the law as they say – why on earth should it let all this new stuff come in and upset the status quo?
To make real changes in your thinking, you have to take conscious charge of the chatter in your head – be aware of any negative messages, and turn them around."
 It goes on to suggest to write down and examine what barriers we are creating for ourselves and come up with ways to talk our way out.  For instance instead of saying "I hate health food."  you could try  "I'll give health food a fair shot."

It's about facing down yourself and your own bad habits and negative self talk and starting to turn yourself around mentally as well as physically.  I can do that, I'm on board.  I'm actually beginning to like myself for the first time in forty some odd years!
 
But I'm still not making a note every time I take a sip of freaking water!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment