Tuesday, June 29, 2010

A lesson in love

It was suggested to me recently that I have become obsessed with my "new" weight loss "thing".  Okay, I can accept that, I do tend to get blinders on and get really focused on new projects until I have them well in hand.  The issue that I had with this particular 'suggestion' was that I was becoming obsessed to the point that I was ignoring my family and friends and being selfish in my single-minded obsession to become skinny.

Yeah, I thought that was rather harsh too.  Primarily because the entire reason for starting this journey was that I wanted to be able to be here for my family.  We lost my Father when I was 22 and he never got to see any of his grandchildren.  One of my Grandfather's died from complications from Diabetes when I was still a baby, so he was not a part of my life either.  

I have a wonderful husband.  We want to grow old together.  I have this amazing best friend.  I imagine the two of us hanging out on the porch together grousing at the neighborhood children way into our 70s.  I plan on making my son and his future wife crazy by spoiling my grandchildren rotten.  Those are family moments that need to be experienced as a family!  Those are important things!

Besides that, isn't taking care of myself, taking care of my family?  This has been an adventure for the entire family.  Everyone is involved.  We do this together, just like we do everything else, as a team.

Today, The Boy had a follow up appointment with his surgeon.  He was having a bit of a meltdown because he was in pain, he was sore and he couldn't eat.  He was in a bit of a state, but we worked through it.  On the way home he dropped off to sleep.  I looked over at him for a minute and thought, 'How could I not be here for this.  How could I not do everything in my power to make sure I am here when he needs support."

Selfishness would be continuing down the path I was going.  That path was easy.  I ate whatever I wanted, did whatever I chose.

The people who mean the most to me have always told me that anything worth doing is never easy; they also told me that sometimes love is difficult.  They were correct on both counts.  This is the most difficult thing I have ever done in my life.  However, it is also the most important.  But selfish?  I don't think so. 

This act, this thing I'm doing?  This is the definition of unselfish love.

Try it, you'll like it.

1 comment:

  1. Its so easy to lose momentum. Someday you'll be able to live this lifestyle more out of habit, but I honestly think you'd be in danger if you DIDN'T put so much effort into staying hyped about these changes. We've all seen people lose momentum. Please don't!
    xox
    ~a

    ReplyDelete