Sunday, June 20, 2010

DTOUR ROCKS!!!

Today is Sunday; we all know what that means.  My 'favorite' day of the week.  We'll get that out of the way first as I have some really exciting news!  (Exciting for me anyway!)

The Boy:  +1 - But he is really working out so I'm putting it down to muscle weight.
Hubby:  -2 lbs (Normally we would hate him; but as it is Father's Day, We love him instead)
Me:  -2 lbs Yea Me!  But even this pales in comparison to my other news!  (Yes, it's that good!)

When I was diagnosed, my A1C was 7.6.  What is A1C?  Let me see if I can explain it easily.  The A1C test is a blood test similar to the daily blood test monitoring.  But the A1C gives you an overview of what your average blood glucose number was over the last 3 months.  It is useful in helping determine if your chosen treatment plan is working and if your choices are making a difference in your Diabetes control.

They have at home test kits now, so I picked one up as I hadn't had my A1C checked in awhile and I was curious as to how effective the Dtour plan was working.  We had chosen it for a reason and I wanted to see if all the struggle was netting any results.
A1C RESULT 06/20/2010 - 5.6!!!!
Why is this number exciting?  In the world of the A1C - 7 is bad.  7 is the big bad scary number.  As a matter of fact; if Myron played sports, his number would be 7!  Myron probably has a big old number 7 tattooed on his . . . .okay, never mind, I digress.

Since starting - I have lowered my A1C from 7.6 = Monitor Closely to 5.6 = Non-Diabetic levels!!!  Yes, you read that correctly Non-Diabetic levels  Boy do we have a heck of a Father's Day present for Hubby!!

I have to tell you.  I never, NEVER expected this sort of a result.  This is so much more than I ever dared hope for!  If you would have asked me six months ago, I would have told you that this was an unattainable number.  This number represents a gift of life to me.  It is an indication that I am freeing myself from the possibility of suffering from the side effects of Diabetes that scare me so much, blindness, nerve damage, etc.

This program works!  Losing weight is good, I am not going to downplay that by any stretch.  I still have a very long way to go there.  But I am a lot healthier now than I was on February 21st.  I have yet to go to the Doctor and have all my blood levels checked, but I'm sure that they will have started coming in line as well.

Keep your damn chocolate, and the windows at the Dairy Freeze can freeze shut for all I care, I am going to continue to walk this path and see where it takes me.
I'm going to be a lean, mean, in control, Myron stomping, 5K RUNNING woman!  
Anyone care to join me?

I'm formulating a plan for a team to walk in the Step Out for Diabetes event in Kalamazoo in October.  Anyone interested in taking a walk with me?

2 comments: