Thursday, June 17, 2010

Bad

One of our ever growing family here made a comment about yesterday's blog that brought tears to my eyes.  Last nights post was as much of an eureka moment for her as it was for me.  It was freeing for her to think that she could view food as just food and that she was not 'bad' for eating.

Wow!  Did that hit home with me.  Do you know how many times in my life I have thought, and have been told that I was bad because of what I was eating.   My history goes way back to that horrid episode when I received a diet book for my 16th birthday.  Obviously members of my family did not think (at that time) that I was good enough as I was.   There was always something wrong.  I wore the wrong clothes, I had the wrong hairstyle, I didn't wear enough makeup, I didn't have the right shoes.  All I wanted was to be left alone to read my books and hang out with my friends.

Judging other people like that is awful, but the real crime occurs when those people creep into our heads and we wake up one morning and realize, that those voices in our heads, have become our own.

Those voices, that feeling?  That is Myron.  That is the real problem and enemy here.  This is the problem that we can conquer!  If we fail, if we stop now, then we have let ourselves down.

Food is not now, nor has ever been our enemy.  Maybe it has only ever been a symptom.

Okay, I know we have all heard that before, many, many times.  Maybe, we need to hear it again, in a different way for it to sink in and be personal for us, just us.

This is a personal battle.  Even while I'm waging mine on a public forum I had a purpose in that.  I had hoped that what I was thinking and feeling, was hopefully giving voice, to things that all of us, who are struggling to lose a significant amount of weight are feeling.  I have always felt alone in my battle and wanted others out there to know that they are not alone.

So, all together now, let's line all those Myron's in our worlds up and mow them down like the smarmy little bowling pins that they are!


 

1 comment: