Saturday, June 26, 2010

Sacrifice

I have a few passionate loves in my life.  There are a very few things, outside of my family and friends that have been constant comforts in my life. Books are one and another is coffee.  I love my coffee.  It is a known fact that I can be bought for Starbucks!  I admit, I am a died in the wool Starbucks snob.  I love good, strong, rich, aromatic coffee.  I can conquer any day as long as it has started with that lovely smell and first cup of liquid bliss.

As I was reading through my "Boot Camp" material, preparing for shopping tomorrow I cam across the most horrific statement I have ever seen! (http://www.mckeithinteractive.com)
Tea, coffee, "energy" drinks - all have negative effects on blood sugar, increase toxic load and can have negative effects on mind and mood as well as contributing to hormone issues. They reduce your capacity to deal with stress. Ideally I`d recommend you give these drugs up or, at least reduce your consumption to an absolute minimum and use them in the morning only. Stimulants like these reduce the quality of your sleep and can set up a cycle of what amounts to sleep deprivation - this leads to you needing the drugs and becoming more dependent on them. It is time to stop. Do it for a week and you will find your need for them is significantly reduced.
Now, I have given up a lot of things since February:
  • sweets - all of them
  • chocolate
  • Ice cream (full strength)
  • Pastries
  • Cakes
  • Fast Food
  • The Dairy Freeze (they are still in business, though I believe they are suffering)
  • And lots and lots more!!
Now it's my coffee?!  Will this madness never end?  I'm not sure about this.  I've been very good and very tolerant.  I have followed all food plans and and all other instructions with the minimum of complaint (no matter what anyone says!); but now we are talking something serious.

This could be a deal breaker.  This could be the end of our family.  The coffee pot is on a timer and hubby sets it up every night so the coffee is ready in the morning.  As I have said before, that is more out of self defense than love.  What will happen when there is no coffee in the morning?  This could spell the end of our happy home.

Okay, enough whining.  I committed to try it.  And it is only for a week, right?  7 days?  I can go 7 days without coffee, can't I?  Deep breath.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment