Saturday, June 26, 2010

Off I go again!!

I have always considered my tenaciousness to be one of my finer qualities.  My dad and Grandfather said I was like a dog with a bone and would never let anything to until I got my own way!  However, I prefer my outlook.  (I come off much better in my point of view.)

Before I wrote the blog the other day regarding self esteem and weight, I had been thinking about it for quite awhile.  Many people had suggested that I try Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, LA Weight Loss and all of those programs.  "The group support"  they told me, "would help.  You are such a social person."  I had tried all of those programs in the past.  We've discussed that before.  They didn't work.  Here is why I believe they didn't work for me:
  • Lots of strict rules (I'm not very good at that)
  • Food was good or bad.  (if you ate "bad food" you were made to feel like a bad person.  Oh sure, they used lots of sweet, sugary words; but a bat is a bat when it hits your head.0
  • Not one of these programs discussed over eating as a symptom of something else.  No one said: You over eat.   Why do you do that?  Let's figure that out.
  • Most of them gave me a diet or a plan to follow while I lost weight and then I was on my own.  Not one of them really taught me how to eat for the rest of my life.  Weight Watchers came the closest, but if you think about it, in order for that plan to work, you end up going to meetings for the rest of your life.  Weight Watchers may be fronting for Food Eaters Anonymous.  Who wants to go to meetings for the rest of their life and hear about 'BAD FOOD'???  Count me out of that one! 
Where am I going with this?  I am so glad you asked!  If you have been following along, you know that I have become a fan of Gillian McKeith, the Queen of Mean from England.  She is a Holistic Nutritionist who helps people lose weight and keep it off.  She has a really interesting approach.  I have been reading her books and as a Holistic healer, she deals with the whole person.  So she helps deal with the deeper issues behind eating as well.

In spectacular Katie fashion, I have jumped off the deep end and today and starting the Gillian McKetih Boot Camp.  (Sounds Ominous doesn't it?).  I have done some research and I can incorporate my Dtour Lifestyle into this plan.  Actually, they will work together very well.  This in an intensive two week plan and then less intensive for another 12 weeks.  For at least the first two, I am required to keep a food diary and I have many daily tasks to perform.  Today looks like a full boat.

How I am going to handle two eating plans and a child recovering from surgery, I'm not sure.  Perhaps my Dad and Grandpa were right all along with the whole bone thing. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment