Saturday, July 3, 2010

Accidental Treats

Tonight was new recipe night!  Not only was it a new recipe but it was also new food night. Not only that, but as a special bonus we discovered a special treat quite by accident!

The new recipe was a Dr. Gillian McKeith recipe for  Chickpea and Tofu Mild Curry, it had Miso Muso in it.  How is that for a mouthful?  the Curry was a bit like a stew and was very tasty.  I was surprised at how much I liked it, as I was somewhat leery as it was going together.   It was full of all sorts of things I used to be convinced that I hated, tofu and chickpeas, and turmeric and I would never have gone near Miso, if I had ever heard of it, that is.

House rules, are house rules, however, so I tried it.  Surprise, surprise, it was pretty good.  The more I ate, I more I liked it.  So now it goes on the try again list.  That list is growing and growing.

My Aunt had suggested that The Boy might like a new icee flavor that Taco Bell has, Strawberry-Mango.

Now, I am not about to let The Boy have something from Taco Bell, but I did have frozen Mango, and strawberries in the fridge.  What person in their right mind keeps frozen mango on hand in their freezer?  (Maybe certain individuals are right and I am becoming obsessed!)

So, feeling a bit adventurous, I tossed ice cubes, frozen mango, strawberries and some white grape juice into the blender to see what would happen.   Who would have guessed that I made sorbet!  Well, it probably wasn't proper sorbet, but it tasted pretty darn good to us, and it was all natural!  But I still have mangoes in my freezer!

It was the best darn accidental dessert we ever had!

1 comment:

  1. miso is supposed to be really good for ya. i also found a recipe yesterday for tofu that is supposed to be like deviled eggs!. I am really curious to try it, cause the picture shows these rows of square little deviled eggs and it looks quite cubist artistic and mind blowing. I just have to find "black salt" which is Indian and has a sulfer nuance that imitates the flavor of eggs. I called World Market and they don't have it.. am waiting for a call back from Peoples Food Co-op I have seen this ingredient before in a recipe for scrambled (tofu) juevos rancheros. the recipe is great, even without the black salt... and yes, that has tumeric in it too. makes them look very egglike.
    happy 4th!
    ~a

    ReplyDelete