Friday, July 23, 2010

Evaluation

I was just rereading some of the first blogs.  It has been a long and interesting journey and there is still so much further to go.  It is pretty much a guarantee that the next leg of this quest will be at least as much fun and entertainment as the first part.

I am getting geared up for the Diabetes walk in October. I have heard back from Prevention and due to copyright laws I am unable to use&the name Dtour for our team name or shirts.  So, now we need a new team name. If anyone has any suggestions, please post a suggestions, I am currently out of ideas!

This morning I was getting dressed and I put on a jumper that I have worn for quite awhile. I went to leave the bedroom and tripped over the hem. Last time I wore this particular jumper, the hem was above my ankles. I was really confused for a moment, then it dawned on me . . . My jumper was longer because I was slimmer and since there was less of me to cover, it was longer! Sometimes I'm a little slow on the uptake.

I have discovered this really amazing salad. It is my new favorite food! It is called the Super foods Salad. It looks wonderful, tastes delicious and makes you feel amazing. It was on the DiabeticLivingOnline.com site earlier this summer. I may have posted it already. If I did, I'm sorry for the repeat, but it is more than worth a repost!

Superfoods Salad
Spinach, strawberries, blueberries, and walnuts sometimes are called superfoods because they are loaded with antioxidants, which are often touted as contributing to good health.
SERVINGS: 4 (about 2 cup) servings
CARB GRAMS PER SERVING: 22 Calories 303
Total Fat (g) 13

1/3 cup raspberry vinegar
2 tablespoons snipped fresh mint
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon canola oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 cups packaged fresh baby spinach leaves
2 cups chopped, cooked chicken breast
2 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
1/2 cup fresh blueberries
1/4 cup walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
1 ounce semisoft goat cheese, crumbled
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper


1. For vinaigrette: In a screw-top jar, combine vinegar, mint, honey, oil, and salt. Cover and shake well.

2. In a large bowl, toss together spinach, chicken, strawberries, blueberries, walnuts, and goat cheese. Transfer to salad plates. Drizzle with vinaigrette and sprinkle with pepper.


Nutrition Facts Per Serving:
• Saturated Fat (g) 2
• Monounsaturated Fat (g) 4
• Polyunsaturated Fat (g) 5
• Cholesterol (mg) 63
• Sodium (mg) 249
• Carbohydrate (g) 22
• Total Sugar (g) 14
• Fiber (g) 3
• Protein (g) 26
• Vitamin C (DV%) 91
• Calcium (DV%) 7
• Iron (DV%) 16


Diabetic Exchanges
• Fruit (d.e.) .5
• Other Carbohydrates (d.e.) .5
• Vegetables (d.e.) 1
• Very Lean Meat (d.e.) 3.5
• Fat (d.e.) 2

DiabeticLivingOnline.com
© Copyright 2010 , Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment