Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Research or Oh my Gosh! I'm eating what??!!

When I was in High School I was on the Debate Team.  Surprised?  Yeah, I thought not.  It was the class that I have used the most often in my daily life.  It taught me how to organize my thoughts quickly and articulate them clearly, I learned how to speak in front of an audience and not look (even if I felt) like a fool; but the thing that I loved best was the research.  I loved, and still love research!  So, when we started on this new adventure, I started doing what I know I do best.  I went to work doing research on Diabetes, my diet and exercise plan, and on our food in general.  Hence, yesterday's rant about McDonalds.

What I am learning is horrifying and terrifying me.  Where has all the common sense gone?  Who came up with the bright idea of growing a chicken in 45 days when nature says that it should take 90?  I'm all for progress, but has anyone noticed that there are an awful lot of men and teenage boys wandering around out there with "man-boobs"?  Do you think they would have them if "growers" weren't pumping all sorts of hormones into chickens to make their breasts 45% larger because most people like white meat?  Did anyone else give this a moment of thought?  Or am I the only sane one left on the planet?  Because if that is the case, we are all in a lot of trouble!

I am told the solution is to eat organic and free-range, I have a choice, so why don't I just go buy those instead?  Okay, awesome.  Has anyone looked at the prices of those?  Eggs from a free range farm = $3.00 per dozen.  Eggs from "regular" grocery store = $0.98.  And those are just eggs.  I was too afraid to look at the meat and veggies!

So, we have more people like me - little round people who have woken up, found that they resemble a weeble and want to look normal again!  Not only do we need to battle our own stomachs, brains and will power, now we have to walk through a grocery store which has become a mine field and learn an entirely new language.  The language of the nutrition label.  It is a much more complicated and confusing language than anything humans have ever conceived of before.

So here is what I'm thinking, we must be doing well and making awfully good progress, because we keep finding new and more difficult obstacles.  New ones we can deal with, after all, we are well past the old ones!  In my book, that is good news.


Just remember
  • corn is in just about everything we consume
  • anything that ends in ouse - is SUGAR
  • and McDonalds adds SUGAR to their salads!  (the freaks!)
Keep hanging in there with me.  We can do this!!   Because together, as a group, we are unstoppable!   And for the sake of all of us, I need to stop doing research on food!!

My Debate Coach would be so proud!!

1 comment:

  1. Your debate coach WOULD be proud. And I love the 'mine field' imagery. It applies pretty well to the situation. ~a

    ReplyDelete