Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Let's check the research . . .

So, hormonal 15 year old, in a valiant effort to help me out, informs me that it will take 1 month for me to stop craving the foods I used to love and begin craving the new foods I'm eating.  Really?  Let's think this through.  Raise your hand if you think that any woman over 40 who has had an ongoing love affair with chocolate and ice cream for that length of time will suddenly stop craving them and begin craving carrots and pine nuts!  Yeah, that is pretty much a sucker bet.

Not wanting to believe that my wonderful son would lie to me, even in the name of trying to help me.  I went to WebMD to check it out.  What do you know.  Here is one of the things it said."At the end of three weeks, your tastes will have changed," he says. "You won't want the food as much anymore."  Now, this was clearly written by a man who has never liked chocolate and has never had a bone-deep desire for a hot-fudge sundae.  Who do these people think they are conning?

I'm beginning to think that chocolate, bread and sweets are to me like happy hour is to an alcoholic; or a black jack table is to a gambler.  Is there a 12 step program for chocoholics?  I mean seriously, what do we do, go a meeting, sign in and say Hi, my name is Katie and I'm addicted to chocolate?"  9 out of 10 females in the room will look at me and say:  "And your point is...?"

Last week this was easy.  I was having fun eating the food, the boys were supportive, I had a new pair of walking shoes, things were great!  What changed?

The ice cream store opened - damn them!  Maybe I can convince myself that ice cream is the root of all evil and people who hock the ice cream are demons out to sabotage all of us unsuspecting ice cream addicts!

1 comment:

  1. Perhaps the not crave 'AS MUCH' thing is relevant. I have heard that drinking diet pop is bad BECAUSE the strong sweet taste KEEPS you craving things of that same intensity. And I DO think the month thing is right, that the better you stick to it, the better it goes. But the big thing is probably being WAY WAY WAY aware that you have to get 'back on the wagon' and QUICKLY when/if you give in to cravings. Keep it front and center how hard it is to get back at it when a person slips too long. We're human, but sometimes we can learn to outsmart our weaknesses.

    ReplyDelete