Thursday, March 25, 2010

It's funny how people react

Shortly after I was diagnosed, while I was still reeling, someone that I cared about very much looked at me and said "I don't know why you're surprised, you knew it was coming!"

 Knew it was coming?  Did they think I went to Diabetics online and ordered myself a dose of Type II hold the insulin?  Oh yeah, express shipping please, I'd like the terror and complications faster than standard shipping allows.

It's funny how people react.

A family friend whom I absolutely adore sighed when she was told and said, I've been Type I for 22 years, it isn't as bad as you think, you'll be fine.  That was almost a year after my diagnosis and it was the first positive thing anyone had said to me about the "D" word.

It's funny how people react.

I was excited today at lunch because my snack for the afternoon was fig newtons.  One of my co-workers looked at me horrified and said "What are you doing?  Those are really bad for you!"  I glanced over at her and she was drinking a coke, had just sliced salami onto her salad and had a bag of chocolates next to her coke can, but my two fig newton cookies were bad for me!

It's funny how people react.

My closest friend, who professes to be a difficult person to deal with (she's not), simply hugged me and said, "Okay, we'll get through this too."  She's been there for me everyday, for every struggle and every failed weight loss attempt.  The best part is, she never judges me, she just smiles and makes me a cup of tea.

It's funny how people react.

From the minute I stood in front of the mirror and made the decision to make this work, one way or another.  My two wonderful men closed ranks around me and reminded me that together the three of us can do anything.

It's funny how people react.
You think that your job as a parent is to raise your children to be well adjusted happy adults, part of that is letting them know that you are proud of them.  The most surprising reaction of this whole experience thus far was the way I felt when my teenage son looked me in the eye and said "Mom, I'm really proud of you,"

It's funny how people react.

 

1 comment:

  1. Hey Katie, I'm proud of you, too. We all have to take control of our lives, and be responsible for our actions. Give yourself a hug for me.
    Debbe

    ReplyDelete