Sunday, March 28, 2010

Artichokes the fun vegetable!

Happy Sunday! You know what that means; weigh in day . . .
The Boy: up 2lbs ("It's muscle from the exercise")
Hubby: up 1.5 lbs ("It's muscle.")
Me: Down 2 lbs! (I'm such a loving caring person, I gave the 1.5 that I gained last week to my hubby; aren't I a good spouse?)

News Flash . . . CNN had the following headline this evening:
Fatty foods may cause cocaine-like addiction

Where have these folks been, under a rock? My favorite part about the article is that this ground-breaking information is coming from Health.com.  Here are a couple of highlights:

"Doing drugs such as cocaine and eating too much junk food both gradually overload the so-called pleasure centers in the brain, according to Paul J. Kenny, Ph.D., an associate professor of molecular therapeutics at the Scripps Research Institute, in Jupiter, Florida. Eventually the pleasure centers "crash," and achieving the same pleasure--or even just feeling normal--requires increasing amounts of the drug or food, says Kenny, the lead author of the study."

 "People know intuitively that there's more to [overeating] than just willpower," he says. "There's a system in the brain that's been turned on or over-activated, and that's driving [overeating] at some subconscious level."

How much time and money do we think went into this amazing research?  Hey, they could have found all that out at a Weight Watchers meeting, watching an Oprah show, or simply Googling weight loss!  I mean come on!    What was the results of his very important study that he conducted on rats.  Rats!  Oh great, first people in my situtation are compared to cocoaine addicts, and then he compares us to rats!  This guy is not scoring any points with me! 

"Although he acknowledges that his research may not directly translate to humans, Kenny says the findings shed light on the brain mechanisms that drive overeating and could even lead to new treatments for obesity.
"If we could develop therapeutics for drug addiction, those same drugs may be good for obesity as well," he says."

Does anyone else think that this dude weighs about 90lbs soaking wet and has an issue with overweight folks?

Tonight was new recipe night.  I tried artichokes for the very first time (other than in a dip with spinach and gobs of cheese).  Guess what?  Artichokes rock!   Who would have thought that a vegetable would have been fun to eat!  You get to rip the leaves off peel the "meat" off on your teeth and discard the rest of the leaf.  I had so much fun eating the stupid thing that I almost forgot to eat the rest of my dinner!

Sometimes I find myself amazed and almost in awe of the foods that I am eating now.  Who would have known that a confirmed "carboholic" (is there such a thing?) is now happily trying new vegetables and pulling out the vegetarian cookbooks!

Did I mention that I love Ice Cream . . .

Did I mention that I love Artichokes . . .

 Fatty foods may be truly addictive

1 comment:

  1. well, something about how he said some of that seemed to click for me in a new way tho. i dunno, maybe not really. but it seems to register why eating AMOUNTS is so satisfying. not just things. but I guess its still pretty abstract to me. ~a

    ReplyDelete