Saturday, May 1, 2010

Object lessons - The only way to learn!

Wow!  I am such a slacker!  Did anyone else notice I didn't post yesterday?  Yeah, I saw that too.  Sorry about that, I don't even remember what was going on to distract me!  It must have been the end of a very long week.  I will endeavor to do better in the future.

Okay, groveling done.  I gave myself a bit of an object lesson today.  You know, one of those things when you do something you know you shouldn't do, but really want to; then the minute you do it, you discover why you should never have started the whole exercise in the first place?  (Could I write a more convoluted sentence?)

Today was the day that we celebrated my mom's birthday with my brother and his family.  We took mom out to breakfast, picked up her birthday present, and then we all had steaks on the grill at Mom's house.  Sounds good, right?  So far so good.  The downfall?  BIRTHDAY CAKE!!!  

After three months of being "good" and staying away from all the things that I used to love, I gave in, with the blessing of my two boys.  They decided that a small piece of cake would be okay, as long as I scaled back on some other things.  I had a small piece of the sinfully wonderful cake that we got for my mom and nephew, it was rich, and chocolaty, and creamy!  And within a half hour I had a horrible headache and the worst stomachache I can ever remember having!   

So, what did I learn today boys and girls?  While my eyes and my brain remember loving cake, my body is now totally repulsed by the idea and apparently has no problem letting me know all about it!

I'm choosing to take this little lesson as a good thing!  If I can only concentrate on the way I feel right now every time I look at cake, then maybe all of my former warm, fuzzy, happy cake memories will be changed into icky, sick cake associated feelings!

Bazinga!  Folks we have a silver lining!!!!  

Excuse me, but I have to go have a cup of nice soothing tea now. . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment