Sunday, May 9, 2010

What are people thinking?

Because I had to work today, my "keep Katie on track" program "You Are What You Eat" was recorded for my later viewing pleasure.  After dinner, hubby settled down on the sofa with me to watch an episode that I hadn't seen before.

This particular program dealt with a young woman (not yet 30) who loved "Chips" (British for French Fries, potato chips are called crisps.  See what you learn when you watch BBC!).  I may have mentioned this before, but Gillian always confronts her 'victims' with a table loaded with everything they have eaten in a week.  Now, this young woman knew what she had eaten, she had put it in her own mouth!  Yet, when she saw the loaded table, she burst into tears and went all but hysterical.  While it made for good TV, I found it rather confusing.


Even when I was eating badly, I was aware of what I was eating, sort of.  I knew that I should not be eating all the things that I was.  But for someone to stand there and actually cry in shock over what they ate in a week just totally blew me away!

Are there really people out there who have no clue what they are putting in their mouths?  What they are dumping into their bodies every day?  I'll admit that I have learned a lot since starting this transformative  journey; but come on!  I cannot conceive that anyone would be that clueless!

I did have an odd experience in the grocery store the other day though, come to think of it.  Mr. Hormone has taken to yelling and being super crabby in the morning when mention is made of breakfast.  To solve this latest irritating attack of teenage rebellion, I got a cheap blender ($8.00 no lie!)  I swung through the grocery isles to pick up yogurt, OJ, bananas and some frozen fruit to whip up breakfast smoothies (something he is guaranteed to eat); when I saw some new frozen fruit things by Yoplait.  They are "smoothie blends"  Each $4.00 package made 2 smoothies and each smoothie contained a 1/2 serving of fruit.  As is now my habit, I flipped the package over to read the nutrition info.  The second, third, fourth, and fifth ingredients were SUGAR and there was FAT in it!  Has anyone else ever seen fruit with fat in it before?  I sure haven't.  Those Yoplait people really had to work on that one! 


So, I guess the moral of this story is that we need to be aware of what we are shoveling down our gullets and we need to take the time to read the nutrition labels in the stores; it's a hassle, but most the time the pay off is a bit of comedy.   For example; do you know that there is pre-packaged , pre-cooked chicken strips for Mexican food that has artificial chicken fat food product in it?  What is that about?  Dude, if I'm going to take a hit by eating fat, can I at least have the real stuff?  That is just wrong!

No comments:

Post a Comment