Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Is "the knife" the only answer?

I'm sitting here, adding new links to the runs and walks that we are going to be doing and half-watching a show on CNBC called "One Nation, Overweight".  It is about the Obesity epidemic in the US.  They just said that 85% of adults are overweight and/or obese.  So why are all the stores still selling all those size 0,2,4,&6 clothes, did they not get the memo?

What was just said that totally blew me away was this Doctor who said that Bariatric Surgery is about the ONLY solution for those who are between 50 and 100 pounds overweight!  Is that man nuts?  Okay, I understand that he is a surgeon, but come on!  You are fat and therefore unable to take care of yourself.  The only answer is for us to remove half of your stomach and teach you a lesson.

I put the weight on over a long period of time.  I don't' expect it to come off in a month, or even a year.  I do expect it to come off.  I expect that I have to work hard, make difficult choices, exercise (no matter how much I hate it) and reeducate myself and my family about how to eat properly.  

It's a process, an experience, a journey.  Something that would be lost by having some scalpel wielding bozo cut me open and remove half of my stomach!  What is learned by that.  When you screw up, take the easy way out?  Don't bother learning anything, it can all be solved by cutting you open.


Does the scalpel dude also insert a proper eating hormone or something?  Does he insert an implant that only lets you eat healthy food?


I'm sorry, I should get off my soap box.  It's just. . .maybe not everything is supposed to be easy.  These things are hard for a reason.  It takes time to retrain and reeducate yourself.


I don't know about anyone else, but slow and steady is working much better for me than the Bozo.


Surgery is the only solution?  Dude, my name is Katie, I'm on the Dtour diet and I have another solution for you!
 

2 comments:

  1. haha I totally agree with you here! I think changing up the diet and working slowly towards a healthier overall lifestyle is much better than simply going under the knife to fix your problem. I honestly think the post important thing is to start working on children, and educating them about healthy choices despite all the pressure to eat junk! I was so happy to see commercials last night for WAT-AAH! Basically, water for kids that seems "cool" ... this is a cute video:
    http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=BC3796CB622E57BB

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! The video is awesome. Our son has dropped a lot of his weight just by laying off the regular soda! Slow and steady is the only way to win this race. We are all in this together, and together we will all get there!

    ReplyDelete