Saturday, August 21, 2010

The Upside of Disaster

Okay, I'm probably being melodramatic, it wasn't necessarily a disaster; but it seemed so at the time.  This morning on the way to work, the car died.

There I was, tooling down the road, anticipating showing off my new rocking haircut at work, when my dashboard lit up like a Christmas Tree!  The engine died and I had no hope of getting it started again.  I was able to get it into the ramp to a rest area, but it coasted to a stop at the very beginning of the entrance ramp.

There I was, in the pouring rain, no cell phone, dressed for work, with a dead vehicle.  Great! 

First order of business was to move the car.  I pushed that stupid car the rest of the way up the ramp into the rest area. (It seemed like a 1/2 mile, but when hubby and friend went up tonight to retrieve said vehicle, they said it was about a 1/4 mile.) Do you think any of the truck drivers that were watching me offered to help?  No, of course not!  As I was pushing the car, in my dress clothes and shoes, I was secretly hoping that they got stopped by the State police and were over their weight limit.  (I know it was mean, but it was really wet out there!)  

One very nice young man finally did help me push the car around the last bend and into a parking place.  He explained to me that if his mama saw him standing there while a lady was pushing a car by herself, she would kick him from here to Sunday!  He was an awesome young man and I hope his mother knows what an amazing boy she raised!

Some very nice young woman loaned me a cell so I was able to call work and they called my mother to come and pick me up (Hubby was working).  So, all was well.

What is the upside?  Six months ago, if I would have attempted what I did this morning, I would have dropped over with a coronary!  Seriously!  

I pushed a car 1/4 of a mile today!  I can push a car  1/4 mile!  I was a bit winded, but I was not sore, I did not want to keel over and die! (I did want to strangle the truck drivers!)

No comments:

Post a Comment