Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Trial by Fire

Today we had a bit of a girl's outing.  My mother, my sister-in-law (sister) and myself met to get supplies for a new mirror for my mom and then we were going to go get 'coffee'.  (Does anyone see this going awry yet?)

 After the shopping expedition we headed over to Panera to have 'coffee', which is now a challenge for me, as I can no longer have coffee.  No, I can  not have decaf, decaf still has caffeine in it, just smaller amounts.

So, there I am, standing in front of the pastry case staring at the drink menu attempting to figure out what I can drink.  I was also ignoring the call of the chocolate croissant.  It was very loud, and it was screaming my name!

My sister asked me if I wanted coffee.  I was dying for a latte, so I bit my lips together and shook my head no.  The croissant was getting louder and louder.  My sister looked at me with a funny look and shrugged.  I could almost hear her thinking  "Katie is off her nut again!"

Then my mom went up to the window.  By this time, the croissant was yelling so loud I was surprised the entire restaurant didn't hear it!  Mom asks "Are you sure you don't want some coffee?"  A repeat of the lip bite and head shake.

I finally ordered a fruit smoothie and, with a wistful glace at the chocolate croissant, ordered a fat free carrot walnut muffin.

I actually made it out of the restaurant without taking so much as a sip of coffee or a nibble of croissant.

So, why do I feel like I've just walked over hot coals?

1 comment:

  1. amazes me each time that it can really be done : )

    ReplyDelete