Friday, April 2, 2010

Sentences

My doting husband, as is habit, woke me at 6:AM this morning, on his way out to work.  Most mornings, I wander downstairs in a stupor and find my way to the kitchen to pour my first cup of coffee.  After about three I am almost fit for human contact.

This morning, I found myself looking for my sweats, digging for a pair of socks and my Zune.  Before I was even awake, I was out on the sidewalk a half a mile from home ~ with no coffee!  I was either insane, or in some sort of bizarre fugue state!  This is so not like me!  I am NOT a morning person.  I am a sleep in, have a pot of coffee, take a shower, get dressed and then, maybe, I'm awake enough to drive to work.  Yet, here I was, bouncing down the street, bopping to the music, loving the cool air.  Obviously I had fallen out of bed, hit my head and suffering from some weird head trauma that made me think I was some sort of morning person who enjoyed brisk morning walks prior to coffee.  What was up with that?

But you know what?  I have felt amazingly good all day since that early morning walk . . . hmmm . . could it be?   Nah, I couldn't be turning into a morning person, that's just, well, unnatural!


I've been thinking a lot today, especially on my walk, about the changes I am making in my life.    Last year, when I heard the diagnosis of Diabetes, I was devastated.  I thought I was being handed a death sentence.  Let's face it, how many good things come from this condition?

This morning I decided it was actually a life sentence.  It was the kick I needed to change my life for the better.  We were out this evening looking at bikes.  Hubby and I even tried out a tandem.  I'm sorry there is no photo, as it was really pretty funny.


I've come a long way from the girl I used to be.  I am only just now realizing how messed up my thinking and my self esteem has been.  For my 16th birthday my grandmother gave me a book .  That in itself was not unusual, I read constantly, I always got excited when I got a book.  When I unwrapped it, it was a diet book!  My Grandmother bought me a diet book for my birthday; and not jsut any birthday.  This was my Sweet Sixteen!  The day went from Sweet to Sour in a hurry!  To this day, that moment stands out as one of the worst in my life.  I was not good enough for my own Grandmother!


I never thought I was good enough for my own family, I was never smart enough, thin enough, my hair was never right, I never really wanted to wear make-up.  I listened to it all throughout my childhood.  That stuff gets into your head and messes you around.  In my case I just ate my way through it.  

Then came the "Death Sentence"  my diagnosis.  I spent about a year huddled on my corner on the sofa feeling sorry for myself, then on a trip to Barnes and Noble, I saw this wonderful pink book that said Dtour.  

That was the day my "Life Sentence" started.  I'm eating better now, I'm exercising, I'm enjoying myself again!


I was up and walking this morning before 7AM!  Life is Good!


1 comment: