Monday, April 12, 2010

Love yourself, warts and all!

I have discovered that there is one person in particular who is especially hard on me when it come to small mistakes and setbacks in my new journey.  The problem is, this person is the one who should be the most understanding and sympathetic of me, particularly at this time.  After all, this is the one person who realizes exactly how hard this whole thing really is on me.  Why would they do that?  Why would they make this already difficult task nearly impossible for me?  Why?  Who in their right mind would do that to me?

Why would I do that to myself?  Why would I sabotage myself in that way?  I am the first one to reassure everyone else that a slip or two is okay.  I'll be right in there cheering for them telling them that all they have to do is let it go and get back on track and everything will be fine.  A blip is a blip and not to worry about it.  Then when I have a very small setback, I am the first one to drag out the sack-cloth, scourge and ashes and beat myself into the ground.  How much sense does that make?

I am making such progress on this journey, maybe my next step is to learn how to be a little easier on myself.  At least give me the same break I give everyone else.  Right?

I talked with one friend who was really upset because she ate a Suzy-Q and another who is convinced that her son's Easter basket has a mom magnet embedded into it.  We all make mistakes, we all make little slips.  We are human, it's in our nature.  How could we not?

We have been conditioned for so long to react to upset, stress, and even boredom with comfort foods, that it is going to take time to break that cycle.  We can do it, I guess we just have to learn to be as patient with ourselves, in that regard as we are with our friends.

We owe it to ourselves to learn to love ourselves again, warts and all!

1 comment: