Sunday, April 25, 2010

The great dinner experiment

Happy Sunday!  Okay, housekeeping chores out of the way first.  

Today's weigh in:
 Hormonal teenager:  -1/2 lb.  Yea boy!!!  (He also took early ACT test and got the results back this week - Rocked those too!!!  Amazing kid!!)
Wonderful husband:  stayed the same.  Yea hubby.
Me:  Stayed the same.  I'm actually relieved.  The large loss last week sort of threw me for a bit of a loop.

Today was another step for me.  I was fortunate that my charming son took the short journey with me.  We ate vegetarian all day today.  It isn't like we haven't done it before.  But today, I wanted to make a conscious choice to try it.  To try it and see if we would have the energy and feel full enough.  It was a success!  Not that we are going to become full time vegetarians, but I seem to feel better now when I have less meat.  Not sure what that is all about.

Tonight's dinner was two, not one, but two new recipes.  We had a dinner full of superfoods!  We had adzuki beans, quinoa, eggplant, and spinach!  It was awesome!  We had a casserole made with Aduzi beans, eggplant, tomatoes and other good stuff - It was good.  Our side dish was Quinoa with wilted spinach and feta cheese.  Gotta love feta cheese!

Now, one of the most amazing things about this meal is that I hate beans!  Always have, always wi . . . . . . well, I guess I don't anymore.  Aduzki beans rock!  They tasted really good and have lots of protein in them.  I'm going to have to rethink my whole stand on beans now.

Once again the horizons have been broadened.  Once again we have stepped outside of our comfort zone and totally enjoyed the experience.  Sooner or later, the box we used to live in will no longer exist!

This is such an amazing journey, everyday seems to be a new discovery.  We're training for our 5K, planning vegetable and herb gardens and I have even been looking at bikes!  What next?

3 comments:

  1. I'm not a vegetarian either, but we eat very little meat at our house. I actually prefer vegetarian food, and when I eat meat it's more as a condiment than the main attraction. If you'd like to continue your experimentation I'd love to share a recipe or two with you, or let you borrow one of my cookbooks. Keep up the good work! There are so many people walking this path with you, and that includes me. Christine Greig Anderson

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always hunting for recipes! We are trying to figure out how to add a recipe area on here. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Recipes PLEASE!!! yes and you are doing great!

    ReplyDelete