Saturday, April 17, 2010

Oh the stupid things we do

You might have noticed that I did not post yesterday.  For the first time since I started this venture, I did not post.  Sorry.

Thursday night, due to some major family drama (who doesn't love that!) I could not sleep and was up all night.  So all day yesterday (Friday) I was very sluggish and tired all day.  I tried to nap, but still could not convince my eyes to close. I went through the day feeling very weak, headachy, and tired.  I had trouble putting thoughts together and could not keep focused on the simplest of household tasks.  I was a mess.

When my wonderful husband came home, we started to work on making dinner together.  I was suddenly parched and drank two large glasses of my herbal iced tea.  Wonderful husband looked at me strangely and asked me when I had eaten last.  I thought for a minute and realized that I hadn't eaten since breakfast!

I looked at him in horror and went to check my sugar - just as I suspected - under 60!  Can you say Crash?

Now, my my my Miss Katie, whatever had  been going on with you all day?  Did you not stop to think for one minute that you were having a sugar problem?  Did you not even give a thought to the fact that you are supposed to eat three meals and two snacks daily?  
Apparently not, obviously I was in some weird state of exhausted state that rendered me unable to think or even remember that I was a, what was that?  Oh yeah, Diabetic (dummy, that I am)!

So, did I learn anything from this little lesson?  Do I ever?  Well, believe it or not, I have finally begun to figure a few things out!

Bits of knowledge gleened from this experience:
  1. GET SLEEP
  2. EAT
  3. REMEMBER TO EAT
  4. DO NOT FORGET TO EAT
  5. DIABETICS NEED TO EAT DURING THE DAY OR BAD THINGS HAPPEN
Weigh in day in tomorrow.  Hopefully, this little back step didn't hurt that.  Fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment