Saturday, October 23, 2010

Obsessed

I am a very expressive person.  I have learned over the years to channel all of that emotion and excitement into whatever job,task, or goal that I have.  The upside of that is it ensures that I carry out these tasks and goals with lots of passion and (hopefully) joy.

The downside of this way of doing things is that I tend to become a bit obsessive about what I am doing.  I guess that tends to happen when you are solely focused on a single goal or task.

Thus far, this system seems to be having a great deal of success regarding my current focus and passion.  Weight loss and the transformation to a more healthy lifestyle for myself, my family, and those around me that I love.

Why am I discussing this?  Because as hard as I try, I am unable to become obsessive about the one problem area that I really do need to focus on right now.   Exercise!  It is still my one big stumbling block.

I actually do enjoy the time that I spend at the gym.  The problem is that it far to easy to make and excuse and not go.  For instance:  I'm not feeling well, I can not possibly go exercise when I am not feeling my best.  (Enter the Empress of Justification!)

How about this one?  I am so tired and need sleep that I can not possibly get up that early and go to the gym.  (Okay this one is pretty lame, but I have used it!)

My personal favorite lame excuse is this one:  I can't go to the gym because I don't want to burn the extra gas in the car.  (The gym is approximately 2 miles from where I work and I go in the morning before work.  How much extra gas does this really take?  One drop, two?) 

I need to figure out a way to become obsessed about exercising.  There must be a way to do that.  I have to make a commitment to this and stick to it.  Perhaps if I can become more consistent and push myself (lame excuses and all) I can make it become a habit.  Then I will just automatically go to the gym every morning.  Hey, this may work!

So exactly how long does it take to form a new habit?  I looked it up (I LOVE research!).  According to PSYBLOG, it can take awhile:

Although the average was 66 days, there was marked variation in how long habits took to form, anywhere from 18 days up to 254 days in the habits examined in this study. As you'd imagine, drinking a daily glass of water became automatic very quickly but doing 50 sit-ups before breakfast required more dedication (above, dotted lines). The researchers also noted that:
  • Missing a single day did not reduce the chance of forming a habit.
  • A sub-group took much longer than the others to form their habits, perhaps suggesting some people are 'habit-resistant'.
  • Other types of habits may well take much longer.

66 Days!!  That's over 2 months!  Are they nuts!  I don't have that long of an attention span!  How on earth am I going to be able to do this???

Alright, five minute freak-out is done.  Deep breath, hold it, let it out slowly.  Okay, that's better.

Can I really stay focused on one thing for 66 days?  That in itself may be a challenge.  But, if I go to the gym everyday (except Saturdays that I don't work and Sundays), think how awesome I'd look!  I could end up looking like a supermodel!  Okay, Katie, let's not get carried away.

Honestly, I'd be happy if I can make this work and get below my 200 pound mark so that I can go to the climbing wall!

66 days at the gym?  I can do that!
 

1 comment:

  1. I was thinking myself today that I should post "I cannot make myself exercise, I hate it." but I don't dare be that honest. But it is really becoming an issue with me too... takes a while to recognize how resistant we are. ~a

    ReplyDelete