Monday, October 11, 2010

Deja Vu Day

Sometimes people confuse me.  Not just puzzle me, flat out confuse.

Saturday I was with a friend that I have not seen in awhile.  This friend has a weight issue similar to mine.  They also have the same diagnosis that I do;  Type II Diabetes.  I had a rather eye opening day with this particular person.

As you know, I whined and ignored my Diabetes for about a year before I finally got my act together and started making the necessary changes I needed to make.  Since then, I have been on a roller coaster of a journey that has taken me in so many amazing directions it almost seems unreal.

My friend, however, is still stuck.  Not only eating whatever they want, this person doesn't test or exercise.  

The competition that we were at on Saturday has really high grandstands.  You get really high in the air which makes it perfect for watching marching bands, but can wear you out making the climb to the top.

Last year, it took me quite sometime to summit the bleachers.  I had to stop multiple times to rest and by the time I made it to the top, my face was ruby red and it took me a very long time to catch my breath.

Saturday, I made it to the top in short order without having to stop at all.  The only redness in my face was thanks to the sun, and even though I was a bit winded when we arrived, I recovered quickly.

My friend?  My friend took a long time to reach the top and had to stop often.  I looked down intending to encourage her and I had this weird deja vu feeling.  I felt almost like I was watching my former self climb the bleachers.  Does that make sense?

As my friend sat down, an entire lecture was on the tip of my tongue.  I so wanted to express the change my life has taken and how much better life could be once the decision to take charge of Diabetes was.  A few dietary changes, some exercise and losing some weight can really alter your life.

I sat there quietly instead.  Anything I had to say would have fallen on deaf ears.  I have finally come to realize that you can't change people who are not ready to change.  All I can do, is keep working toward my goal and hope my friends in similar positions, will see how much better I look and feel and want to start making their own changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment