Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Contrary Katie

Yesterday, I went to the college to speak with an Academic Advisor  to figure out what I needed to take.  Wow, what an experience!

First I got turned around and lost on campus (no surprise there).  Luckily some very nice young man helped me figure out where I was going.  Then I step into the Advising office and sitting there waiting are a bunch of kids that I swear were no older than the Boy!

I signed in, sat down and looked at these kids and all I could think was: "Oh, Katie, what have you gotten yourself into now?"  Luckily, I did not have too much time to stew as I was called back shortly after I arrived.

Then it was time to sit down with an Advisor.  Gulp!  First he wanted to know why I wanted to come back to school after 20+ years.  Then he began to fill me in on what had transferred over and what I still needed to take.

When I was in school (before) my two weakest subjects were Algebra and Science.  I was more of an English and Psychology kind of person.  I even failed a logic class, much to the entertainment of my brother who to this day points to that when he decides that I am not logical.  (Truth be told, I use Katie Logic, which is much more friendly than that other sort!)

Now I am sitting down with a gentleman who is explaining what I need to take.  First on the list?  You betcha ~ Algebra!  Second on the list?  Chemistry.  (Last time I was in a Chemistry class I started a fire in a trash can with chemicals that were not supposed to be combustible!)

I am listening to this Advisor as he is explaining just how much Algebra and Chemistry that I need and all I can think is:  "I am in way over my head, and I haven't even taken a class yet!"

Then he said it.  The Advisor looked at me and said:  I'm not sure you can be successful in this program.  You have to take a lot of math and chemistry and obviously they are not your strongest subjects.  Perhaps you might want to consider another major."

I sat there stunned.  I haven't even started yet and this guy has already told me I'm going to be a failure!  How dare he!

One thing you need to know about me is that I can be sort of contrary.  When I was a child this worked to may parents advantage.  If they wanted me to do something, they just told me that I couldn't do it.  Telling me that I can not do something is the surest way of making me do it.  Contrary, that's me!

I looked the advisor right in the eye and told him I would be fine.  It has taken me all this time to figure out what I want to be when I grow up and I am not about to let a few math and science classes stop me now.  I've come too far to stop now!

The man looked at me like I was a crazy person, but began to outline my first couple of terms for me.  All the classes but two are either Algebra or Chemistry.  Gulp again!

You know what?  I'm going to do it!  And when I have completed those classes, I am going back to that Advisor and show him just how wrong he was!

Just call me Contrary Katie!

No comments:

Post a Comment