Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Adapting

Fall is my favorite time of year.  The air is cool and crisp, the trees are aflame with color and all the small animals are hurrying about making sure they are set for winter.

With the cool weather comes the desire for warm comfort food.  Mashed potatoes, beef roast, gravy and all those wonderful foods that are full of starch, fat and sugar.  All those wonderful comforting things that I am now supposed to avoid.

Tonight I announced to my boys that Sunday will be the first pot roast of the season.  Both men light up like a Christmas tree!  The moment that I saw that look on their faces my mind started clicking through the ingredients in my 'secret recipe'.

Oh man,  I need to make some major adjustmentsBut if I adjust the recipe will it still be my special roast?

Okay, I know this seems like a silly thing to worry over, but my pot roast recipe is a family favorite and something that we all look forward to.  I don't want to ruin it.

What am I going to do?  Make the adjustments that are necessary and pray that I can find healthier substitutions for the things that need to be taken out of the recipe.

This has become normal for us.  I don't want to have to give up all of my favorite foods, no one does.  The only way to keep our favorite foods in our life is to adapt them to our new lifestyle.

Adapting.  Adapting has become the story of my life.  This is simply one more step on the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment