Wednesday, November 24, 2010

My favorite day

Thanksgiving has always been one of my most favorite days of the year!  As you know, I love to cook.  I mean I really LOVE TO COOK!  It's even better when I get to make a huge, special meal for my family.  Everyone sits around the table eats themselves stupid, laugh, talk and really enjoy each other.

It's even better when the whole family is together, it's cold outside and everything inside is warm, cozy, and the house smells like love and roasting turkey, or ham, or a roast, or whichever protein is heading up the meal.

This year is going to be different.  I'm still making the turkey, the wonderful 'little' thing is enjoying it's lemon and orange brine bath as we speak.  But the turkey may be about the only thing that remains from the holiday meals of old.

I have been combing though the diabetic websites and my cookbooks to come up with tasty 'substitutions' for our old standbys.  Regular mashed potatoes that have about a bazillion carbs per serving are being replaced by Three Cheese Whipped Potatoes (brought to you by Diabeticlivingonline.com)Light fluffy mashed potatoes with ricotta cheese, cottage cheese and Gorgonzola cheese mixed in, for only one carb serving!  Doesn't that sound soooo much better than regular old mashed potatoes?  I thought so too!

The turkey is going to be especially tasty with lots of lemon and garlic and sage!  I get warm fuzzy feelings in my tummy just thinking about it!!

Can I manage to stay on plan and still pull off a spectacular holiday meal?  I think so, I just have to be really creative!  I can do that!

We don't need sugar to make a wonderful meal, all I need is love. . . and I have plenty of that!!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment