Thursday, November 18, 2010

Emotional Eating

I am reading this book right now on emotional eating.  I'm hoping it's going to help me to NOT eat when my emotions are all over the place.  (I am slightly frightened that it will teach me HOW to eat when my emotions are screwed up.  'Cause I pretty much have that down cold!)

Anyway, it got me thinking, how much of what goes in my mouth, and onto my hips, is put there because I was upset or stressed and not really hungry.  Think about it.  It's a really easy concept, but once you actually start to think about it, it is rather scary!

Buried emotions are frightening things.  Not only do they make you fat (emotional eating), but they can sneak up on you at unfortunate times and make you feel lousy all over again.

When I was in college, I had some truly horrifying experiences.  That was when my true weight problem began.  I worked through what happened to me, even had some counseling; but still, when something brings a memory up, I head straight to the fridge and the ice cream inside!

I guess I put on the weight as a sort of shield.  I must admit, it did help keep people away.  But the more weight I put on, the worse I felt.  The worse I felt the more I raided the kitchen; which in turn made me upset that I had no self-control!  Does anyone else see the spiraling vortex here?

It is easy to see and identify, but almost impossible to manage.  I'm hoping that identifying why I eat will help me along the path I want to be on, rather than the one I have walked most of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment