Monday, November 8, 2010

Health Assessment

One of the fun things I get to do for the company who carries our insurance at work is to take a health assessment every year.  It's a pain, but it is also quite enlightening.

I was actually really interested to see how mine changed from last year.  I didn't score so well last year and was really hoping that my score really improved .  Apparently, marking the Diabetes circle is tantamount to putting a big scarlet A on your chest!

My score was 65, they consider you 'healthy' with a score above 80.  My favorite part was the sentence in the report that said "Your diagnosis of Diabetes increases your risk of having Diabetes."  Wow!  Is that a brilliant statement or what?

So according to this oh so scientific assessment, I am no healthier now than I was at the same time last year.  If I was willing to believe that I'd really feel frustrated.  Good thing I'm not putting much stock in the silly report huh?

Here's the thing; we are supposed to be working toward a healthy lifestyle, right?  You do everything you can to improve your health, then along comes a silly test being used by and insurance company and suddenly feel like all your efforts in the last year have been for naught.

I've changed my diet, I have my blood sugar mostly under control.  I have dropped over 70 pounds, I'm exercising (or trying to) and still, not enough for them.

I think they are being especially picky and have no idea how difficult changing your entire lifestyle is.

I think we should make the geniuses who developed the assessment take it themselves!  Let's see how they score!

No comments:

Post a Comment