Monday, September 13, 2010

Step Out with Team Freedom!

Two more donations came in today for Team Freedom for the Step Out Walk!  Yea!!  That makes me so happy and excited!

I am really looking forward to this whole experience!  Not only because it's another 5K, but because it is taking an active role in the fight against Diabetes on a more global level.  Yes, I struggle with it every day.  And yes, sometimes when I write about it here I may sound flippant and off hand about it.  But please do understand, I am anything but that!

 Team Freedom is walking and raising money to further Diabetes research.  We have come so far in the last few years, new monitors, new insulin and medications; but there is still so very much further to go.


Okay, I know this isn't my normal entry; but really, isn't this what my entire journey is all about?  The fight against Diabetes and Obesity?  I suited up a few months ago and this is just one more battle in my ongoing war against . . .myself?


This research is important:
Diabetes was the seventh leading cause of death listed on U.S. death certificates in 2006.

Every 20 seconds someone is diagnosed with diabetes? 
That's 4,320 people in a 24-hour time period! 

I'm sorry to get 'up on my soapbox' and go on a bit of a rant, but this is important stuff.  Just as important, if not more important than anything else I have ever undertaken.

If you come out that day, sign up with Team Freedom and join us!  If you can't be there on October 16th, then go to our team page and become a virtual walker for the team by making a donation!  Everyone can do something!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment