Wednesday, September 1, 2010

I can't do it on my Own

When I started this journey, I was convinced that I could conquer my mountain on my own with no 'professional' assistance.  Tonight, I am having to throw in the towel and admit that I can no longer do this all on my own.  I need some professional help.  (No!  Not that kind!)

It is no secret that I have been having motivational issues when it comes to exercising.  After my annual Doctor's appointment, and reading my latest issue of Diabetes Forecast, I have decided that it may be time to join a health club and see if a personal trainer can help get me going.  

What is driving this latest move?  There is new research discussing the different types of exercise that is necessary for a Person with Diabetes; simple walking and cardio is no longer enough; stretching and strength training are also necessary.  Why?  Let me show you what I learned from the Mayo Clinic Web Site:
  If you have diabetes, you're at increased risk of various bone and joint disorders. Factors such as nerve damage (diabetic neuropathy), arterial disease and obesity may contribute to these problems — but often the cause isn't clear.
Charcot joint
What is it?
Charcot (shahr-KO) joint, also called neuropathic arthropathy, occurs when a joint deteriorates because of nerve damage — a common complication of diabetes. Charcot joint primarily affects the feet.
Diabetic hand syndrome
What is it?
Diabetic hand syndrome, also called cheiroarthropathy, is a disorder in which the skin on the hands becomes waxy and thickened. Eventually finger movement is limited. What causes diabetic hand syndrome isn't known. It's most common in people who have a long history of diabetes.
DISH
What is it?
Diffuse idiopathic skeletal hyperostosis (DISH), also called Forestier disease, is a hardening of tendons and ligaments that commonly affects the spine. DISH may be associated with type 2 diabetes, perhaps due to insulin or insulin-like growth factors that promote new bone growth.
Dupuytren contracture
What is it?
Dupuytren contracture is a deformity in which one or more fingers are bent toward the palm. It's caused by thickening and scarring of connective tissue in the palm of the hand and in the fingers. Dupuytren contracture is common in people who have a long history of diabetes, perhaps due to the metabolic changes related to diabetes.
 Frozen shoulder
What is it?
Frozen shoulder is a condition characterized by shoulder pain and limited range of motion. It typically affects only one shoulder. Although the cause is often unknown, diabetes is a common risk factor.
 
Scary, right?  I thought so.   Here I've been worrying about my eyes this whole time and I never gave a thought to what the extra glucose could do to the rest of my body.  How brain dead was I?

So, after I scared myself to death, I went over to the American Diabetes Association Website.  The answer would be there, right?  Yep, they had this whole cool little slide show thing going on.  One slide in particular smacked me between the eyes: 

I'm a reasonable person.  Once faced with overwhelming evidence, I can be motivated.  Somehow, the prospect of losing mobility will do that to you!

So, today, Hubby and I went to check out a Health Club today.  We were impressed and I think it may work.  


I'm serious about succeeding, I need to do whatever is necessary to get where I want to be.  If that means finding some trainer to be mean to me to make me work, then that is what I'll do.


I can do this!  I know I can!

No comments:

Post a Comment