Monday, September 6, 2010

Empty Promises

This morning, I was vegging out in front the the television watching mindless tv, when an add came on for some weight loss product or site; to be honest I didn't pay that much attention until they started running the "success" stories.  I couldn't believe what I was hearing:

"All you have to do to lose weight is eat food!  How easy is that?"
"Point, click, and lose weight!"
I don't know what diet these people were on but SIGN ME UP!!  Here I thought you had to do things like, watch what you ate, drink plenty of water, and exercise!  No one told me all I had to do was eat food and I'd lose weight!

Come to think of it, eating food is what got me into this mess int the first place.  I ate food and GAINED weight!  Maybe I was going it wrong.   

While checking out at the market today, I saw this little bright green box amongst the candy section at the check-out lane.  It was a product called Hoodia, and it had all sorts of wonderful promises written all over it! 
"People using the Hoodia Gordonii diet pill reduce their calorie intake by up to 1000 calories a day and when you put that into pounds lost it may equate up to 4-6 pounds a week".
Here is the thing that I love about this Hoodia deal (other than the fact that Hoodia is fun to say!); it's purpose is to suppress your appetite so that you feel full and eat less.  Great in theory, but the minute you stop taking the pills, your appetite returns and you go back to eating the way you were before.  Hello 4- 6 pounds in a week!!

Then we have all of these wonderful programs that help you lose weight by offering pre-packaged meals.  Again, great in theory.  But what happens if you want to go out to eat, or eat with your family for that matter?  No can do, I don't think there are is enough food in one of those little packets to feed me and hubby, not to mention The Boy!

What happens when you have lost the weight and are ready to go off their little meals?  I'll tell you want - Hello, tubby!  I know, I've tried them all.  Jenny Craig was my favorite; I lost 30 lbs on the program and then gained 60 after I had 'graduated'.  So much for that plan! 


The old saying does hold; if it sounds too good to be true, it is!  Somewhere along the line, if we want a weight loss plan to work permanently, we have to learn a new way to eat.  Obviously what we were doing before didn't work so well!  Taking pills and having someone send you pre-measured and pre-packaged meals teaches you nothing.  If you learn nothing, other than how to read the reheating directions on the box; when you go off the program you are back to eating the way you ate before you started on the plan.


Also, as much as it pains me to admit, exercise is a key component to losing weight.  A rolling stone gathers no moss, apparently it gathers no weight either!  Whereas couch potatoes continue to grow at an alarming rate!


No comments:

Post a Comment