Sunday, September 19, 2010

Humbled by the Kids

No post last night due to the late arrival time back from the first Marching Band Competition of the season.

Weigh in results first:
Me:  -2lbs.  Yea me!
Amazing Hubby:  -1 lb. (Okay, he's supposed to be going in the other directions, but as this blog is all about weight loss - Yea Hubby!!)
The Boy:  ??? The Boy is still asleep, as he is sick with a bad cold and has been for a few days, one of the many humbling things about last evening!

I don't know if you have ever been to a marching competition, but let me tell you, it's like nothing you have ever seen.  It is heaven for those people who like marching bands.  (My grandmother would have loved it!)A day devoted to the bands, they take the field one after the other and perform their shows, their very elaborate and complicated shows.  There is a judging panel; and there are, of course, awards and bragging rights.

Now, the band that The Boy plays in is very good (No, I am not just being a proud mama.  There are a bunch of full trophy cases that will back me up.)  Actually they are probably one of the best bands in the state.  They work exceptionally hard and they always have an incredible show.

The Band Director's, who are outstanding people in their own right, write the music and the drill for our shows themselves; so our show is always unique.  Every year the music and drill get just a bit more complicated and difficult.  The band also competes at a Class A level, even though we are a Class B school.

All of that is already enough to be proud of, right?   Last night's performance brought pride to an entire new level.  The kids performed the show wonderfully, a feat that was perhaps highlighted due to the previous nights game performance where two of the band members fell during the complicated drill pattern!  By the end of the performance, most people in the stands were on their feet cheering and clapping (not just their parents)!

Afterward, I was on the track with the band while awards were handed out.  We took third place behind two much larger bands, who's music and drills were no where near as difficult as ours.   I turned around to say something to the kids and at least three of the young ladies were in tears.  I went to console one of them and the first thing she said to me was "We let the Director's down.  We didn't work hard enough."

Wow!  That blew me away!  These kids work harder than any group I have ever seen.  Last week they stood in the cold rain for two hours working on their drill until they had it where they wanted it!  They sacrifice their evenings and Saturday's for practice and competitions.  Yet, they were upset; not because they had come in third, but because they had let the Director's down!

That was humbling.  Why?  Earlier in the day I had been having a bit of a pity party for myself because I wanted chocolate and could not have any.  I wanted a greasy burger and thought it was unfair that I could not have one.  Yet, here stood this tiny young girl in front of me, upset that she had disappointed her Band Director by not working hard enough.

Lead by example?  Isn't that what we are supposed to do?  Last night my son's marching band reminded me of what working hard towards a goal was really about.

Thanks guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment