Wednesday, December 1, 2010

The five minute freakout

All of my life, when things have gone wrong, I have allowed myself a five minute freak out.  Okay, sometimes (most times) it's a bit longer than five minutes!  But here is how it works.  I am allow a short bit of time to freak out and be upset.  After I have that out of my system I force myself to regroup and take a fresh look at things.

My Grandma and Mom have always said "Don't worry, things will look better in the morning."  They were right.  (Boy would my Mom like to hear that!)

I poured over my books last night, had a long talk with my friend, got a bit of sleep and now I'm ready to get to work.

 I mentioned not too long ago that it's all a matter of perspective.  Perhaps I should take my own advice more often.  It's all in the way you look at things and last night I was looking at things in the worst way possible.  This morning, things are different.

Yes, apparently I have had a small set back.  A minor bump in the road that I can certainly get past.  (My life's road has had much bigger potholes than this - even a couple of sink holes!)  I am a Person with Diabetes and sometimes things don't always go as planned; you have to learn to roll with the punches.

(Yes, I could use a few more clichés if i tried really hard.  But you get the point, right?)

I had forgotten that this complication in my life has brought its share of good things, not just bad:
  • It has helped me motivate myself to lose weight.
  • I am much happier and healthier now than I was a year ago.
  • I'm learning to not swallow all of my problems and stress (literally!)
  • I have discovered a new passion and am going back to school!
  • I am learning degrees of discipline that I had never dreamed of before. 
  • The three of us are having fun with food and healthy eating.
  • My migraines have decreased.
  • I have walked 2, count them 2 5K's!
  • I discovered there is life without caffeine.
  • I have met some really wonderful people through this little blog of mine.

That seems like a pretty positive list. I thought last night about sweet old gentleman from my Dlife show.  You remember, the 92 year old man who has had Diabetes for more than sixty years?  Yeah, that's him, the two tablespoons of flax seed guy!   I thought about him last night as I was drifting off to sleep.  I don't think he would have a pity party at a little setback.  He'd face it head on and find a way to turn it into a positive!

If he can do it, so can I!  Watch out world, my five minute freak out is over and I'm ready to take you on again!

2 comments:

  1. You are strong and brave and you can do it. Keep at it. ~a

    ReplyDelete