Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Insights

When I started this journey and blog, I did it with the intention of helping other people who were in the same boat I was.  I was hoping that my quest would help others know that they were not aloneWhat I have learned in the last few months, is that I learn much from the amazingly insightful comments you all make.

Quite often, a comment that someone has made on an entry has forced me to re-look at a situation or rethink the way I am dealing with things.

My last post was about food addiction.  Yes, as usual, I made a couple of snarky comments about it.  Snarky is always my first line of defense.  Followed closely by all out sarcasm and then turning and running away if the topic is too much for  me to really deal with.

I know that I have a big problem with emotional eating.  Last week, when I was incredibly upset about some things, I managed to down 2 ice cream sandwiches (plan approved), and a large bowl of plan approved ice cream.  Now, while individually, these special treats are okay; I doubt that two sandwiches and a 3-4 servings bowl of ice cream are what people were thinking when they wrote the nutrition label.

Even when I know that I shouldn't eat something; that I will beat myself up later, I still find that I devour everything I know NOT to eat when I get upset.  Is that an addiction to food?  That I reach for things that are horribly bad for me when I am stressed and at the end of my rope?

What good does it do me when, after chowing down, I get so angry with myself that I am driven right back to . . . you got it, the fridge!  That seems like a vicious circle.  How exactly does one go about breaking that cycle?

I have so much admiration for those who can stand strong in the face of such challenges!  Perhaps more research on food addiction is required here.  What do you all think?

No comments:

Post a Comment