Tuesday, December 21, 2010

'Tis the Season

The holidays are upon us and plans are in the works for presents, meals and family gatherings.  I have always played a central role in these things.  I am, after all, the Queen of Christmas.


For some reason I feel shunted aside this year.  When discussions come up about meals and snacks, I keep getting the same response:  "Can you eat that?  Are you sure you can have juice?  I don't know what to make that you can eat."

To hear people talk about it, you would think that I am on some very restricted diet and can only eat bunny food and water.  I like bunny food (how weird is that?) and water is a good thing, but I like other things too.


I have never looked on this venture as a diet.  A diet is a short term thing, this is a permanent change in lifestyle.  I try my best to look on it as a positive thing, but everyone else seems to focus on the "die" part of the "D" word.

Let's look at this objectively.  My self esteem has gone up (which is nothing short of a miracle), I have lost quite a bit of weight, embarked on an odyssey of sorts that has led me back to school.  Me, Katie, is going back to school to pursue a career that will enable me to help those who find themselves facing the same challenges that I am.

It also has afforded me the opportunity to return to one of my first loves, writing.  I get to write again!  Everyday, I get to write!

So, I will go to Christmas, and listen to folks try to figure out what is 'acceptable' for me to eat.  I'll bite my tongue when others want to decide what I can put in my mouth.  Because in the grand scheme of things, it really doesn't matter what others think.  It is only important that I know what I need to do.  Not only that, I have the wonderful loving support of my boys and my mom.

And people say there are no miracles at Christmas . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment