Friday, December 31, 2010

New Year's and Resolutions

Just like most people I've been thinking today about the last year, the upcoming year, and what I would like to change.  This is the night of resolutions.  We are looking at the mistakes we have made in the past and making a commitment to ourselves to do better moving forward.  Most of those promises to ourselves are broken shortly after making them.  Some, manage to make it through a month or two before it is tossed aside.  A few, a very few, are taken to heart and slowly become habit and a new part of our lives.

I sat down and made a list this evening of all of my past resolutions that I had let fall by the wayside.  Then, I made a second list of the changes I wanted to make.  You know, your annual list of all the things you know you should be doing, but aren't.

Here is my annual list:
  • Lose weight
  • exercise
  • change eating habits
  • go back to school
  • begin writing again
  • control my diabetes
  • regain control of my life
I looked a the list and realized something:
  • Lose weight - Doing it!
  • exercise - Doing it!  Slowly, but I am making progress
  • change eating habits - Did it!
  • go back to school - I start class on January 10th!
  • begin writing again - I'm writing every day and it's wonderful!
  • control my diabetes  - I feel like I'm doing better at this every day.  My A1C proves it!
  • regain control of my life - For the first time in many years, I feel like I'm getting there
I have to admit, I was stunned when I realized my list, my entire laundry list of here to for impossible, pie in the sky dreams. . .has been filled!

I am rarely proud of myself, I always think I can do better.  But right now, at the precipice of a new year, I am proud of myself for what I have accomplished.

You kinda have to wonder though . . .what will I come up with next?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment