Friday, February 4, 2011

Pressure

School conferences were last week for The Boy.  I had class, so hubby got to go on his own this time.  Here is something you need to know about The Boy; no one is harder on him than he is.

The funny part is that every time conferences roll around, we always seem to end up with one teacher who has never had our wonderful child before.  Now, this teacher is totally enamored of our son and thinks that we are truly evil and horribly strict parents.  They think that we ride him really hard and punish him for grades that we think are unacceptable.  Please understand that this is a false impression.  The teacher normally changes their tune after meeting us.

Because, the truth is, that hubby and I spend a lot of time trying to get The Boy to lighten up on himself!  He expects so much of himself that I am often afraid he is going to become neurotic!  My job, as I see it, is to try to get him to give himself a break and celebrate his successes and not dwell on mistakes.

It seems that I need to learn to take my own advice.

During lunch today, I was reading a People magazine.  It was the issue that they call "Half their Size", featuring people who have lost a significant amount of weight.  I, of course, felt compelled to look it over.

The articles were very uplifting and affirming.  You know what struck me the most?  The length of time it took these folks to lost the weight.  One lady had started in 2007, another in 2005.  Yes, they lost over 100 pounds, but they did it slowly.  It didn't happen all at once, or even in a year!

I've been beating myself up lately because I am still at a bit of a standstill.  I had a year in my head when I started this venture and that year is almost up.  I have been feeling like a bit of a failure.

I need to learn to take my own advice!  I need to give myself a break!  Who ever said there was a time limit in which I needed to be at my goal weight.  Okay, so I did!  What do I know?

Just because things are not moving along as quickly as I like, that does not mean that I have failed.  Apparently, I'm just human.

Huh, imagine that!  Me and They Boy - human through and through!

1 comment:

  1. you are in motion and going the right direction.
    xoxoxoxoxo~a

    ReplyDelete