Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Day 4 - Obstacles

Obstacles.  Today  seemed to be a day for them.  Why is it whenever you are trying to get somewhere life always puts many and varied roadblocks in your way?  Is it to test commitment?  Or is "someone" messing with us?  I've been thinking about that a lot today.

I've had migraines since I was 11.  Predictably, just when I had psyched myself up to go walk again today, I felt the familiar tingle creep up my spine and slam into my skull.  Why?  I've actually been home today, I was not stressed, I wasn't cleaning with any nasty chemicals, I was being good.  All the same, shortly before my son came home from school, the tunnel vision started and the cat walking across the carpet sounded like Sherman on the march!  Off to the dark quiet room for Katie.

Then I heard from a friend who was attempting to start her own diet, only to be faced with loud uncooperative boys and the lure of sugary caffeine laden sodas.  Obstacles.  They come in all shapes and sizes.

When I was young, my mother and father used to talk to my brother and I about obstacles.  The discussion when something like this:  "If you can't go over it, go around it.  If that doesn't work, you're short, go under it!"  Sometimes when things get hard I can close my eyes and I hear voices in my head; "Go over it, go around it, go under it."

So maybe an obstacle is only an obstacle if you allow it to be.  Perhaps they are put in our path so we can learn how truly strong we really are.  I have a migraine today, I can walk tomorrow.  If I can't get up to the gym, we have a staircase at home, a built in stair-master!  

I will not be defeated!  I guess Mom and Dad knew what they were talking about after all, imagine that!

1 comment:

  1. do you think it might be from 'detoxing'? or caffeine or sugar withdrawals?
    ~a

    ReplyDelete