Sunday, February 21, 2010

And so it begins . . .

Hello everyone.  My name is Katie.  I was diagnosed about a year ago with type two diabetes, which I have spent the last year trying my best to both follow and ignore.

You start with the best of intentions, but then everything seems so overwhelming that you give up and revert to your old habits.  Okay, I know that is an excuse, but today is the day I begin to turn it around.

I am starting the new Dtour Diet by the kind folks at Prevention magazine.  It is a new diet and exercise regime for people with Diabetes. I  plan to follow the book and online program to the letter, with the support of my, friends, and anyone else out there who would like to follow along.  I do not have a chef, a personal trainer or a television show following me.  

I do have a wonderfully supportive husband, a hormonal 15 year old son who enjoys cooking and a whole group of friends and co-workers who are ready and willing to lend support.

I have a long way to go.  I took a good look at myself in the mirror this morning and determined that I resemble a beach ball with legs and arms.  Definitely not a good fashion statement!  

Why did I just tell you that?  Well, if this is going to work, I have to be totally transparent and face down all of my demons - eating them hasn't gotten me anywhere!  So here we go!

Day 1 - 
Weight - 259
Height - 4'8" (somehow I shrunk 2")
Waist - 48" - GULP!!
Blood sugar - 121 before breakfast (not so good.)

4 comments:

  1. Katie, I know that you can do this!! You are an amazing woman!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie ~ I know we haven't talked in a REALLY LONG TIME, but I am proud of you and will be supporting you. YOU CAN DO IT!!! :-)

    Mary (Gilder) Fuller

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie, I don't know you but I am a friend of Arlene's and I will be here to follow and support you on your journey to health. Remember one thing, girl: aim for progress, not perfection. I'm proud of you, sister! Onward and upward. Christine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie you are an amazing person and I know you can do it, losing weight is avery hard thing to do but I know you can do it, just take one day at a time and don't beat yourself up if you slip once in a while. Love Ya Aunt Jan

    ReplyDelete