Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Day 3

15 years ago the day before I was put on bed-rest due to complications from pregnancy, my husband and I went on a 10 mile hike in the Santa Monica Mountains.  Today, I spent 30 minutes walking around an indoor track and thought I would no survive.  How did I get here?

As I was walking along, with my arms swinging by my side, my medic alert bracelet kept slapping against my wrist, reminding me of the shackle it reminds me of.  How did I get here?

I used to eat a bowl of ice cream at night before I went to bed, now I swallow a handful of medications for everything from High Blood Pressure to Diabetes.  How did I get here?

Maybe instead of worrying or lamenting about how I got here, I need to focus on how I get myself out of this mess I seem to have created for myself.  But how did I become this person?  How did I let this happen?

4 comments:

  1. Your an awesome woman who some stuff has happened to. Don't worry about how you got here, your doing an awesome job changing those things you don't like. Keep up the good work and when ever you need a hug or some encouragement I'm here for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie, you ARE awesome, just as Mark says. You are also, in my opinion, courageous for doing this. I f you ever need support and/or a hug when we're at work, I'm there for you. See you tomorrow.

    Love you,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. are the recipes getting any better?? those veggie cookbooks by mollie katzen are such a blast to cook with, and they have to be just as healthy. I will have to send Logan, the resident chef, some photo copies.
    ~a

    ReplyDelete
  4. Recipes are awesome! Yesterday we had fish tacos with eggplant. We discovered we like eggplant!

    ReplyDelete