Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Filberts

Does anyone know what a filbert is?  Yup, filberts.  Apparently they are a type of food!  The other day at the grocery I was look for a good snack and found the area of the store where they have lot of different types of nuts and dried fruit combinations.  Among all of the different blends that were offered there was one that had almonds, peanut, and filberts!  I had no idea what a filbert was, so of course I purchased it!

Then I had to figure out exactly what a filbert was.  Off to the internet!

According to Dictionary.com:
–noun 1. the thick-shelled, edible nut of certain cultivated varieties of hazel, especially of Corylus avellana, of europe . 2. a tree or shrub bearing such nuts ...


So it's a hazel nut? If it's a hazelnut, why call it a filbert???



Here I was, all excited to eat a filblert, and all they gave me was a lousy hazelnut!

I'm sort of bummed!

2 comments:

  1. filbert or hazel it its still plain nuts to me

    ReplyDelete
  2. are they really hazelnuts? I always thought they were, but something seems 1,000 miles away between a filbert and my hazelnut coffee. I just find it hard to believe that its really the same critter. ?
    ~a

    ReplyDelete