Saturday, March 5, 2011

Colors

Have you ever noticed the color of the food that you eat?  Okay, I know that may sound silly, but I am a visual person and I believe that how your food looks has a great impact on how it tastes.

Wonderful hubby and I were talking today about the food that we have been eating.  We have been slipping and more and more junk has snuck it's way back into out diet.  I'm not proud of it, but there it is.

During the course of the conversation, I mentioned that I miss color.  I miss the color on my plate lately.

Hubby looked confused (okay, I know I am sometimes difficult to follow).  I went on to say that as a rule, junk food is all brown and blah.  It's true, think about it.  The grocery store shelves are lined with colorful and interesting boxes; yet, when opened the contents are varying degrees of brown and beige.

But when you are eating healthy whole foods, there is an explosion of wonderful color on your plate!  Incredible greens, orange, reds, and yellows.   The amazing blue/purple of blueberries and the more subtle green of celery.  These foods explode with flavors that are as amazing as their colors and veggies tend to have that awesome crisp crunch.

I miss the color on my plate.  I miss feeling happy when I look at my meal.

Think about it.  I could have a snack of a candy bar or yogurt and berries.  Which looks more appetizing?  The flat brown color of chocolate or the creamy white of yogurt spotted like poke-a-dots with red strawberries, green kiwi, or luscious purple blackberries.  (No, I do not know why they are called blackberries when they are more purpley-blue)

I think I'm going to go back to the yogurt and fruit.  Sign me up for some gorgeous salads and interesting seeds and nuts!

Why eat boring blah looking food when you could be feasting on a rainbow?

1 comment:

  1. ahhhhhhhh taste the rainbow! and NOT skittles. ~a xox

    ReplyDelete