Thursday, October 20, 2011

Let the experiments begin!

I am determined not to be defeated by this latest diet blow.  Celiac's and IBS.  I guess it's a good thing I like water!

Not happy with that attitude, I have been pursuing my collection of recipes to see what I can still eat, what I might need to modify to eat and what is permanently out he window. 

Wonderful hubby brought home a gluten free bread mix last night.  One of my most favorite things has always been bread.  So the gluten free diet is a huge blow.  Hubby thought if I found a mix that worked well, I could still have something resembling my favorite treat.

So this afternoon I fired up the bread machine and got to work.  The dough looked and smelled good, even the house started to smell of warm fresh baked bread.  Which on a rainy cold day is perfect!  I was excited when the timer went off and rushed into the kitchen to see how it had come out.  It smelled heavenly!

I dumped it out onto a cutting board, and too anxious to wait for it to cool, cut a piece off the end and slathered it with butter.  My mouth was watering that the very idea of fresh warm bread!  I bit into . . .plaster dust!!  At least that is what it reminded me of!

It was horrible!  Who would advertise plaster as bread?  I mean really, who does that?!!!  It was so bad I couldn't even swallow what I had bitten off!  I spit it into the trash and followed it with the entire loaf of  . . .  whatever it was!

I guess it's back to the drawing board!

3 comments:

  1. aww.. sorry hon! ~a

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't give up, try different mixes, different brands. My absolute favorite bread mix is Pamela's and you can find it at the meijer on 9th street or at the health food stores. It is fantastic for regular bread and for pizza dough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Megan! I'll see if I can find it!

    ReplyDelete