Monday, November 21, 2011

Purple Food

The new eating regime is proving to be something of a hassle.  Yesterday I thought I'd make a seasonal favorite, creamy chicken and rice in the crock pot.  Sounds simple, right?

WRONG!!  The cream of mushroom soup that I have always used has flour in it (Third ingredient as a matter of fact).  Do did the bullion!  How do you make it without those two things??

Answer = you punt!  A little white wine, some cream cheese, and some chicken stock will do the trick.  All was well once again . . . until we came to the rice.

Normally I use brown rice.  I was out of brown rice.  I did have some very good black rice, so in the crock pot it went!

About two hours later I realized what I had done.  I gave the mixture a stir and all of a sudden the entire pot of food turned purple!  I'm not kidding it was purple!  I had to have been the black rice!

So for dinner last night we had purple creamy chicken and rice!  I tasted wonderful even if it looked weird.

Brown rice, accept no substitutes!

1 comment:

  1. lol, I have been being VERY careful with mine! Yes, I got some from Country Life. I have made it twice, but STILL haven't cooked it long enough. Its been edible and even good, but it will be better when I cook it longer.~a

    ReplyDelete